Running Camp Kenya
In cooperation with Running Camp Kenya, Globalrunning.com offers the unique opportunity to have a running experience in Kenya.
Running Camp Kenya was founded in 2012. After more than 15 years of experience with Kenyan running, the decision was made to set up training camps and make it possible for enthusiastic runners from all over the world to come to Kenya to train together with the best athletes in the world. These training camps take place in the Mecca of Kenyan running, the village of Iten. Over 90% of all Kenyan athletes come from this area or have come here to train. If you look around the village early in the morning, you can expect to see hundreds of athletes preparing for their morning training.
The guests will learn everything about Kenyan running, from daily training sessions with Kenyan athletes to various excursions, everything has been thought of. Running camps Kenya is the official partner of the HATC in Iten. The HATC was founded by multiple world champion Lornah Kiplagat.
The team of Running Camp Kenya has years of experience in organizing running training camps in Iten. They work together with the local Kenyan staff who are very experienced in training and coaching runners. The team consists of former and active athletes! From training and meeting Kenyan runners, inspiring conversations and beautiful locations. During the training camps, in addition to the training sessions, there will be plenty of excursions / trips and free time to discover the Kenyan culture. An experience never to forget.
What do Globalrunning.com and Running Camp Kenya offer you?
- Daily running training sessions led by one or more guides/trainers
- Training in core stability / strength and injury prevention
- Technical training on the track
- International and domestic flights
- All airport taxes and fuel surcharges
- Hold luggage and hand luggage
- Transfers from Eldoret Airport to the HATC in Iten and back
- Room on the basis of 2 persons
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner prepared by the cooks of the HATC
- Coffee and tea with healthy snacks
- The complete program as described, including trips
- Unlimited use of swimming pool, sauna, fitness centre and the athletics track
- Tips and expenses of a personal nature
An example of the program can be found below. If necessary, the program can be adapted to your wishes.
Day 1: High Altitude Training Centre, Iten, Kenya.
Upon arrival at Eldoret Airport, the guests are welcomed by our driver at the (small) airport. There is only one arrival hall at Eldoret Airport, where our driver will be waiting. We make sure that the driver has water for the guests. Then it's time to drive to Iten, this is a drive of +-60 minutes (depending on traffic). During the drive, we go through the centre of Eldoret (the largest city in the area), where you can get a good impression of the busy life in this city. After about an hour's drive, we arrive at the High Altitude Training Centre in Iten. Here, the guests will be welcomed by our team. The guests will be shown to their rooms and given a tour of the various facilities of the training centre. Information will be shared about the rules/customs of the training centre and some general practical information. Also some time will be taken to go over the program of the week.
Day 2 to 10: High Altitude Training Center, Iten, Kenya.
Residence / training camp in the High Altitude Training Center of Lornah Kiplagat. The stay at the training centre of Lornah Kiplagat will consist of a combination of daily running training sessions led by a guide / trainer. Running technique training on the track, core stability, fitness training and injury prevention. The running sessions will include: an endurance run, speed training, technique training, fartlek training, hill training and more. We also have various local excursions on the program:
- Trip to St. Patricks High School, this is a local high school in Iten known for the many world and Olympic champions it has produced.
- Visit to a local training camp in Iten where Kenyan (top) athletes train.
- Trip to the Kamariny Track in Iten, the first athletics track in Iten where many world and Olympic champions have trained. (Depending on accessibility due to renovation of the track).
- Visit to a local primary school in Iten. - Meeting with Kenyan athletes where there is also the opportunity to ask all kinds of running related questions to the professional Kenyan athletes, very entertaining and a way to gain valuable and unique insights.
- Trip to the Viewpoint in Iten where you have a breathtaking view of the Rift Valley.
- Visit to the local market in Iten.
- Farewell dinner (buffet / depending on the size of the group) in Iten Club restaurant (next to the training centre).
Day 11: End of the trip
Would you like to know more about the possibilities of this running experience in Kenya, individually or in a group? Ask us about the possibilities via firstname.lastname@example.org or contact one of our travel specialists by phone!